Saturday, September 27, 2008

Almost done...


This is the fully boned, turn-of-the-19th century transition stay I began several months ago. I've been working on it for a week now, hand-sewing at every opportunity. I think it has turned out fantastic! I am very impressed with the instructions provided by Saundra Altman (the woman who drafted the pattern based on a museum piece). This picture is a blurry representation of the inside of the corset, opened up flat. The bones are made of reed and come in a circle like a wreath and so need to be soaked and steamed after inserting them into each channel in order to flatten them. All I have left is to whip-stitch and put the binding on the top and bottom edges and sew in the breast-bone casings which will house to metal bands to prevent boob-smooshage. Heh. I'll update the pictures when I replace the batteries in my camera.

No comments: